Dedicated and Experienced Virginia Tax Attorney
Mary Elizabeth Rinaldi is a Member and serves as the Director of Tax Controversies at Thorn Law Group. She is well-known and highly regarded as an aggressive advocate for individual taxpayers, businesses and other entities in the Virginia region, throughout the United States and around the globe.
Ms. Rinaldi provides comprehensive tax advice and representation to individuals, small and mid-market companies, international companies, embassies, trusts, partnerships, banks and other organizations dealing with challenging and sensitive national and international tax law controversies and disputes. She offers a deep understanding of tax laws and regulations and draws upon her earlier experience serving as a clerk with the U.S. Tax Court and a trial lawyer with the Internal Revenue Service to develop creative and advantageous solutions for her clients.
- Provides guidance and counsel to clients at all stages of IRS investigations, examinations audits, and appeals in disputes involving offshore accounts and other foreign assets and property
- Represents clients in tax controversies before federal and state courts and taxing authorities, including the U.S. Tax Court, U.S. Court of Federal Claims, the Department of Justice, the Internal Revenue Service, and the IRS Whistleblower Office
- Works with individuals and families to develop wealth and asset protection strategies that advance their immediate and long-term goals and objectives
- Advises U.S. citizens residing abroad, domestic businesses engaging in activities outside of the U.S., and foreign individuals and corporations conducting operations in the U.S. on complex tax reporting rules and obligations
- Offers skilled advice and guidance to taxpayers seeking to avoid potential criminal prosecution and exposure to severe financial penalties through voluntary participation in IRS amnesty programs
- Represents business clients in employment tax disputes with the IRS and state taxing authorities encompassing a wide range of legal obligations, including worker classifications, payroll taxes and recordkeeping requirements.
Bar and Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- L.L.M., Taxation Law, Boston University School of Law
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law
- B.A., Boston University
- Member & Active Contributor, American Bar Association
- Member, ABA Section of Taxation’s Civil & Criminal Tax Penalties Committee
- Member, ABA Section of Taxation’s Court Practice & Procedures Committee
- Member, ABA Section of Criminal Justice’s White Collar Crime Division
- Member, Civil & Criminal Tax Penalties Task Force
- Member, Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Task Force
- Judicial Law Clerk, The Honorable Laurence J. Whalen, United States Tax Court
- Trial Attorney, Internal Revenue Service